** We are open normally, please contact us to discuss Test Rides etc. 0333 0502570. Thank you **


National Delivery   |   100% Electric   |   Environmentally Friendly   |    Financing Available   |   Price-matching Available

Licence & CBT Motorcycle Training

There are many question around which licenses are eligible for which bikes and when do you need to do Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). The information below should help with this.

In this class of bikes there are 3 categories:

Moped looking bikes but have pedals.

These do not need a License, Insurance, helmet, MOT, number plates, CBT or Registration Plate. They are limited to 15mph and we now offer the Super Soco RU for people who would not or cannot have a road-legal licensed bike.

Over 15mph and less than 28mph "Moped" Category Bikes - A.k.a "50cc"

These can look like a moped/scooter or a motorcycle. They will be restricted to 28mph but may be able to go faster by de-restriction. Whether they are de-restricted or not, the V5 will state "moped" and you might also see reference to the electric category L1e which is the equivalent term for <28mph 2 wheeled electric vehicles

For these you need one of the following:-

  • A Car Driving License issued before 2001. This enables you to ride one of these bikes straight away without CBT. However, you can NOT take a pillion unless you do the CBT.
  • After 2001 and over 16, you will need a CBT and will need an L-Plates. After this you still will NOT be able to take a pillion and you have to re-take the CBT Test every 2 years. To enable you to take a pillion, you need to do an A1 test which will also enable you remove the L-Plate

Over 28mph "Motorcycle" Category Bikes - A.k.a "125cc"

The term "Motorcycle" is the DVLA term for a moped/scooter style or motorbike style bike that go over 28mph. There is an upper limit to the Power (kw) that these can have which would require an A2 or greater motorcycle license, however all the ones we currently sell that are not L1e above are these "125cc" equivalent bikes. In electric terms these are called L3e.

For these, you need the following.

  • Be over 17.
  • Unless you have an A1 or greater motorcycle license, everyone needs a CBT and L-Plates and hence will need to re-do the test every 2 years unless again you move up to an A1 or greater License. If you do not re-take the test 2 years later, you will either fall ball to be riding on your Car License rights (ie <=28mph) or will lose the right to ride entirely and hence be breaking the law.

Regarding the CBT itself. It takes about 1/2 a day. If you are re-taking you can just turn up later and miss the theory side and just go through the testing part which includes riding on the road over 40mph on a bike supplied by the school. You would need to check with the school if you can use your electric bike for the training as there is an element of it that requires Brake and Throttle control which mostly cannot be done on electric motorcycles.

To find a school, below is the best link to use


There are other ways of finding a school like Ride.to but they add a margin on of the price of the training so you are likely to find it cheaper by using the Link above and contacting the School directly.